Megan Thee Stallion has granted an interview to CBS Mornings reporter Gayle King to discuss the July 2020 shooting involving Tory Lanez. It marks the first time she’s addressing the shooting on television and providing previously unheard details about that fateful night. According to a press release, Megan looks back on the incident and tells King how everything started.
“It was an argument because I was ready to go and everybody else wasn’t ready to go,” she says before she begins to cry. “But that’s, like, normal friend stuff. Like, we fuss about silly sh– silly stuff all the time. But I never put my hands on anybody. I never raised my voice too loud. Like, this was one of them times where it was, like, it shouldn’t have got this crazy.
“So, I get out of the car, and it’s like, everything happens so fast. And all I hear is this man screaming. And he said, ‘Dance, bitch.’ And he started shooting. And I’m just like, ‘Oh, my God.’ … Like, he shot a couple of times. And I– I was so scared […] He is standing up over the window shooting. And I didn’t even want to move. I didn’t want to move too quick. Like, ‘cause I’m like, ‘Oh, my God. If I take the wrong step, I don’t know if he’s going to shoot something that’s, like, super important. I don’t know if he could shoot me and kill me.’
When King asks if she was afraid she was going to die, she replies, “I was really scared ‘cause I had never been shot at before.”
Music megastar @theestallion sits down exclusively with @GayleKing for her first TV interview addressing the 2020 shooting allegedly involving rapper Tory Lanez, Monday on #CBSMornings.
Tory Lanez pleaded not guilty to an assault charge related to the alleged shooting. pic.twitter.com/iYDZdkOAMm
— CBS Mornings (@CBSMornings) April 24, 2022
Tory Lanez was remanded in a Los Angeles courtroom on April 5 for violating a protective order in the Megan Thee Stallion felony assault case and later posted $350,000 in bail to secure his release. In a tweet from Rolling Stone reporter Nancy Dillon, Lanez hopped into an awaiting Lamborghini and sped away while giving off the impression he wasn’t bothered by the unexpected court proceedings.
“Tory Lanez just released from custody,” Dillon wrote. “He climbed in driver’s seat of waiting Lamborghini and drove off. Said he was feeling ‘amazing.’” In another tweet, Dillion explained, “Bail bondsman just left after posting the new $350,000 amount, an increase from $250,000. Lanez should be released soon. His father still waiting outside courtroom. This all happens in courthouse.”
Both Megan Thee Stallion and Tory Lanez are expected back in court in September. Meanwhile, Gayle King’s exclusive interview with Megan Thee Stallion on CBS Mornings airs on Monday (April 25) between 7-9 a.m. EST. Watch the preview above.