Tory Lanez Denied Right to Speak Out on Megan Thee Stallion Case
Tory Lanez took an L in court this week when a judge ruled that he cannot publicly comment on his criminal case involving Megan Thee Stallion.
In January, the “F.E.E.L.S.” singer filed a request to be able to speak publicly about the July 2020 shooting, for which he pleaded not guilty to one count of assault with a semiautomatic handgun and one count of carrying a loaded, unregistered firearm in a vehicle.
According to Page Six, Lanez’s attorney, Shawn Holley, argued that the protective order barring him from talking was “unfair” since it does not also apply to Megan, who has spoken publicly about the case on social media.
“I think in a perfect world, no one would be able to say anything,” Holley told the judge at the Superior Court of California in Los Angeles on Thursday (Feb. 25). “My goal is to be fair.”
Holley also accused Megan’s attorney, Alex Spiro, of speaking publicly about the case. “I don’t know how I can sit idly by when the complaining witness and her lawyer speak to the media,” she added.
In the end, the judge decided to keep Lanez’s protective order in place. “We have two high-profile celebrities named as the defendant and the alleged victim in this case,” the judge said, noting that “the last thing I think anyone wants” is for social media to become part of the evidence in the case.
At the hearing, Holley also alleged that one of the witnesses in the case has been “intimidated” by Megan, but the judge dismissed speaking about those “new issues” any further.
Last month, Megan called out Tory on Twitter following false reports that his charges had been dismissed. “Bitch you shot me AND MY STORY NOT CHANGING AND BITCH YOU GOING TO JAIL,” she tweeted.
Tory has maintained his innocence on social media and in his music. If convicted, he faces up to 22 years in state prison.